HOW TO SETUP HP OFFICEJET PRO 8740 PRINTER
Take the HP Officejet Pro 8740 printer from the box and remove all the packing materials on it. Connect the printer to a power cable and set the preferences on the control panel. Install the ink cartridges and load some paper into the input tray to set up the printer for the first time. Go with the upcoming step-by-step on how to setup Officejet Pro 8740 Printer easily and quickly.
Unboxing and printer setup
- Unseal the tape and open the shipment box.
- You will find an installation CD for both the Windows and the Mac devices.
- If you have lost or misplaced the CD in future, download the updated version of your printer drivers and software from 123.hp.com/setup 8740.
- The shipment box also contains another CD in it which is a Readiris Pro installation disc.
- The Readiris Pro is an optical character recognition software which converts the written text into documents that can be edited on your computer.
- Now, take both the setup and the ink cartridges caution poster from the box individually.
- The setup poster consists of all the basic set up instructions for your printer.
- You are provided with an HP instant Ink card.
- Subscribe your printer to order ink automatically depending on the subscription plan that you choose.
- Finally, take the user guide of your printer from the box.
- The user guide contains all the additional information on setting up your printer.
- The printer’s package also includes power cable, two wire phone cord for setting up a fax connection, and setup cartridges.
- The setup ink cartridges are used to initialize the HP printer and calibrate the ink levels.
- Take the printer from the cardboard box and remove all the visible blue tapes and packing materials from it.
- Set the cardboard box and other packing materials aside for recycling.
- Remove the twist tie from the power cord and connect it to the the printer and the wall socket.
- Turn On the HP Officejet Pro 8740 printer by pressing its power button.
- The printer initializes and make some noise.
- Choose your language and other settings on the printer’s control panel.
- Touch Yes to Confirm and continue after each settings.
How to install ink cartridges
- Open the access door of your HP printer.
- Gently, take the ink cartridges from the package.
- Make sure that you use only the setup cartridges that came with your printer.
- First, insert the 952 magenta ink cartridge into the respective slot in the printhead.
- Push the ink cartridges slowly until it fits in position.
- These ink cartridges are keyed so that they will fix only in their respective slots.
- Now, install the yellow, cyan, and black cartridges in the same manner.
- The black cartridge will be apparently large compared to the others as it is used more frequently.
- Close the access door once all the cartridges are correctly installed.
- The printer checks the ink cartridges and prompts you to load the paper.
How to load paper into the input tray
- Slide the input paper tray out.
- Align a stack of plain, white paper and load it into the input tray.
- Adjust the paper length and width guides.
- Now, slide in the input paper tray.
- Tap OK on the Instant Ink prompt and touch Continue to initialize your printer.
- The printer aligns the printhead and prints a test page during the initialization.
- Visit the 123.hp.com/ojpro8740 setup site to know more on How to Setup Officejet pro 8740 Printer
HP OFFICEJET PRO 8740 DRIVER & MANUAL DOWNLOAD
Download and run the driver and software once the printer hardware is set up. Download the updated version of official driver and manual for your HP Officejet Pro 8740 printer from 123.hp.com/setup officejet pro 8740 site.
How to install the printer software
Make sure that your HP Officejet Pro 8740 Setup is connected with a wireless network or an active internet to install the printer software. Install the software on your computer or laptop once the downloading is complete. Go with the steps given below to install the driver and software on your computer or laptop.
- Go to the Downloads menu on your computer or laptop and select the downloaded driver file.
- Double-click the file to open it or right click on the file and select open.
- A dialogue box pops up. Click the Yes or Run option to continue the installation process.
- A connection screen displays on the monitor.
- Click Continue to open the software selection page.
- It is always recommended to choose a customize software selection from the software selection page.
- Click the check box to agree with the terms and conditions.
- Now, tap Next to start the HP printer software installation process.
- All the selected drivers and software gets installed on your computer.
- Wait for about few minutes until the installation completes.
- A connection screen appears.
- Choose your desired connection type from it.
- The installer detects your printer as per your connection type and continues the installation process.
- Your computer or laptop reboots once the installation is complete.
Easy Wireless Setup for officejet pro 8740 for Mac and Windows OS
Learn easy Wireless Setup for HP Officejet Pro 8740 Printer on Mac and Windows OS. With the Wireless Setup Wizard, find and select your network name, input your password, and then confirm your settings.
HP officejet pro 8740 wireless setup on Mac OS
Here is the step-by-step guideline for HP Officejet Pro 8740 Wireless Setup on Mac OS.
- Download and install the HP printer driver and software from 123.hp.com/setup 8740.
- Select Wireless as the connection type whenever prompted during the installation.
- Before setting up the printer on the wireless network, you need a network name and password.
- Turn On all the devices (computer, printer, and router).
- Connect the computer to a wireless network and be ready with the SSID and password.
- It is recommended to use a broadband internet access like DSL or cable for software downloads.
- Connect the devices to the same network and get relevant updates for your printer.
- Use the Wireless Setup Wizard to connect the HP Officejet Pro 8740 Printer through a network.
- The HP installer locates and find the printer during the installation process easily.
- Go to the home screen on the HP printer’s control panel.
- Scroll down and open the Dashboard.
- Tap the Wireless icon and click on the Setup icon.
- Access the Wireless Settings and touch the Wireless Setup Wizard.
- Choose the network name in the displayed list of available networks and then press OK.
- Follow the on-screen instructions and type your network name manually if it is not displayed on the list.
- Enter the WEP, WPA key, or network password when prompted and then tap Done.
- A summary screen appears.
- Touch OK to go back to the home screen.
Call our customer care through the toll-free number or visit us at 123.hp.com/ojpro8740 setup if you require any additional information about HP Officejet Pro 8740 Wireless Setup.
HP Officejet pro 8740 wireless setup on Windows OS
Here is the step-by-step guideline for HP Officejet Pro 8740 Wireless Setup on Windows OS.
- Gather the network name and password before setting up the printer on your wireless network.
- Make sure that the personal computer is connected to the same wireless network of your printer.
- Turn On your printer and place it close to the computer.
- Unplug the USB or Ethernet cable from the printer, if any.
- Connect your printer to the network using the Wireless Setup Wizard so that the HP installer finds the device during the installation.
- Swipe down on the printer’s control panel to open the Dashboard, and then click on the Wireless icon.
- Tap the Setup icon, open Wireless Settings, and then touch the Wireless Setup Wizard.
- Choose the name of your network in the list of available networks, and then press OK.
- Type the WEP or WPA key when prompted, and then tap Done.
- A summary screen displays.
- Touch OK to go back to the home screen.
- Download and install the most updated version of your printer’s full feature software from 123.hp.com/officejet pro setup 8740.
- If an Auto Wireless Connect screen shows up while installing, use it to finish the wireless setup.
- Otherwise, go with the guided steps in the installation software to complete the setup.
- Use the installation CD as an alternative method to download the software.
- Choose your printer from the displayed list.
- Type your HP printer model number, and then click Begin.
- Select Download, and then click Open, Save, or Run to download the driver on your computer.
- Double-click on the driver file in the browser downloads bar or Downloads folder on the computer to launch the driver installation.
- Go with the instructions displayed on the screen to complete the connection setup and driver installation.
HOW TO COPY, FAX AND SCAN DOCUMENTS
The 123.hp.com/ojpro8740 setup has an ability of taking copies, fax and scan your documents or photos from anywhere. Take any number of copies using the Copy menu available on your printer’s control panel.
How to copy on HP Officejet pro 8740
Carry out the given steps for copying your documents using the 123.hp.com/setup officejet pro 8740.
- Turn On your HP Officejet pro 8740 Setup.
- Place the document that you need to make a copy in the scanner glass.
- Make sure that you place the document with the printed side facing downwards in the scanner area.
- Choose copy option on the printer’s control panel.
- Type the number of copies that you wish to make, and then click on the copy button.
- You can also change the properties such as paper size, paper type, quality, or other settings, if necessary.
- Click Settings on the printer’s display and the Select copy to start copying a document or photo.
Scan using the HP Smart
The HP Smart application is widely used to scan a document or photo from the HP printer’s scanner. The HP Smart app includes tools that allow you to adjust the scanned image. Follow the on-screen instructions to start scanning using the HP smart app.
- Download the HP Smart application from the Google Play Store for Android and App Store for iOS.
- Install the HP Smart app on the Android OS of version 5.0 or Apple iOS 10 or newer.
- Launch the app and add your printer once the installation is done.
- Make sure that your mobile device is connected to the same wireless network that of your printer.
- Scan document and photos from your printer, and then save, print or share them through email.
- Place the document or photo that you need to scan on the scanner glass or in the automatic document feeder (ADF) tray.
- Touch the option called Scan, Scan to Email, or Scan to Cloud.
- Click on the Settings icon to select the input source, color or black and white, and resolution.
- Press Scan. Click on the Add Pages icon for multi-pages scan.
Scan from a Windows 10
- Place the paper to be scanned with the print-side facing downwards on the scanner glass.
- Open the HP Smart app and then click on scan option from the application.
- Press the Preview button to see the preview of your scanned document.
- Click on the Save icon once the scanning process is complete.
Scan from an Android or iOS
- Download the application called HP Smart in your mobile.
- Connect your printer with the application.
- Click on the + symbol available in the app to add a new printer.
- Choose the document that you need to scan from your mobile and then click OK.
- You can print, save, or share the scanned document or photo later through email.
Scan using Web scan
The web scan enables you to scan any documents, images directly from the web browser of your computer. The web scan feature will always be turned Off by default. If you want to enable the web scan on your computer, follow the steps below.
- Check the IP address of your printer to open the web server.
- Click on the Settings tab.
- Open the Administrator Settings below the Security menu.
- Click Web scan from EWS to enable Web scan.
- Visit us at 123.hp.com/ojpro8740 setup if you still find it difficult to scan your documents using the HP printer
- Call us and talk with our customer support to learn more about the scanning process.
How to Update your printer
An updated version of printer firmware software is released on a regular basis with enhancements and issue fixes. The applications on the printer’s control panel might also get updates depending on your printer. Update the firmware software and other applications regularly to ensure that you are receiving the most out of your printer.
Install the updated version of your printer firmware from the HP Customer Support downloads page. It is recommended to update your printer instantly and make use of its most up-to-date functionality.
HP Officejet Pro 8740 all-in-one printer series firmware update
- Turn On the HP printer and connect it to your computer through a USB cable or local network.
- Go to the HP Customer Support and select Software and Driver Downloads.
- Click Printer once a Let's identify your product to get started page displays on the screen.
- Enter your printer’s model number and click Submit.
- The software results page for your printer shows up with a default operating system.
- Press Change to change the version of Windows, select your version, and then click Change.
- Click Firmware, and then press Download.
- The update is not available for your printer currently if a Firmware section is not listed.
- Save the file to your PC.
- Locate it, and then access the file to begin the installation process.
- See if the printer serial number displays once the HP Printer Update window opens.
- If the serial number appears but the status is not applicable, you do not need the firmware update and click Cancel.
- If the serial number does not appear and your printer uses a network connection, connect a USB cable to your printer and the computer. Wait for few seconds, and then click Refresh.
- If the serial number displays, click the checkbox next to it, and then select Update.
- Click OK once the update completes.
- Remove the USB driver installed by Windows if you connect a USB cable to update your network printer.
- Search Windows for control panel, and click Control Panel in the displayed results.
- Click the option called View Devices and printers.
- Right-click on the USB printer device that matches your printer model, and then select Remove Device.
- Unplug the USB cable from your HP printer and the computer, and then restart the PC.
HP OFFICEJET PRO 8740 WEB SERVICES
The HP Web Services enables you to print through your web-connected HP printer from anywhere and at any time. It also allows you to open and print preformatted web content with the help of HP Print Applications.
Web Service using Embedded Web Server (EWS)
- Before setting up the Web Services, make sure that your HP printer is connected to an Internet with either an Ethernet or wireless connection.
- Open the Embedded Web Server (EWS).
- Click on the Web Services tab.
- Select Setup in the Web Services Settings section, and then click Continue.
- Choose Allow the printer to check for and install printer updates when prompted.
- The printer prints an information page when it is connected to a server.
- Go with the instructions given on the information page to complete the setup.
HP Officejet Pro 8740 eprint services
The HP ePrint services is a secured cloud-based service that enables you to print from anywhere over an active Internet connection. Email the document or image that you need to print directly to your HP printer.
- Connect your HP printer to a wireless network and obtain the email address.
- Print from an Android smartphone, tablet, or Apple iPhone, iPad, or iPod touch by sending an email to your HP printer through the printer’s email address.
- Go to HP Mobile printing for more printer options.
Print a document or photo saved on your mobile device:
- Open the document or image that you need to print and click on the Action or Share icon.
- Access the email application that you need to print from, and then enter your printer’s email address in the To field.
- Enter a subject in your email’s subject line, and then tap Send.
Print an email message
- Access the email that you need to print, and then click Forward.
- Enter your printer’s email address in the To field.
- Type a subject in the email’s subject line and then tap Send to print the sent email message.
Print a webpage
Open the webpage that you need to print and save it as a document. Email the webpage as an attachment to print it from your smartphone or tablet.
HP Officejet Pro 8740 apple airprint services
Use the Apple's AirPrint services for printing through a shared private network from supported applications on your iPhone, iPad, or iPod touch to an ePrint enabled HP printer. For doing so, you must have an Apple device of iOS version 4.2 or later which supports AirPrint.
- Turn On your HP printer and connect it to a local wireless network.
- Load some paper into the input tray of your printer.
- Touch the application that you need to print from.
- Choose a file to print and tap the Action icon to display the menu options.
- Click on Print to view the list of available printers.
- The application does not support AirPrint if your printer is not listed on the drop-down menu.
- Touch Select Printer under Printer to view the list of available printers.
- Select your HP printer and tap Print to start printing a document or image from anywhere.